15 Secrets to Settling Your Car Accident Injury Claim
If you’ve ever been in a car accident, you know that working with the insurance company and trying to get a fair settlement for your injuries and other damages is no easy task. Insurance adjusters want to settle your case for as little as possible. However, following an accident you have the right to expect to receive fair compensation for your needs. Some of your needs may include medical costs, pain and suffering, and lost wages. Each case is unique and may have additional expenses that can be included. The best way to maximize your compensation is to hire an attorney who can negotiate well with the insurance company and get you the most from your accident. We have created a list of things below that your attorney will accomplish on your behalf.
There are ways to obtain a fair settlement. That’s why we created this useful guide, “15 Secrets to Settling your Car Accident Injury Claim.” This 16-part series will cover 15 secrets to getting a favorable claim after a car accident.
Here’s a look at the 15 secrets we will be discussing:
- Conduct a complete investigation. Don’t leave the accident scene empty-handed. Get contact information from witnesses. If a police officer came to the crash scene, get a copy of the police report.
- Get photographs of all important elements in your case. Everyone has smartphones nowadays. Use yours to take photos of the accident scene, as well as the damage and your injuries.
- Don’t release your medical records to the other party’s insurance company. If you do this, the other party now has access to your medical records and can use this against you. Don’t make this mistake.
- Get the insurance company to set up a high reserve account. If the reserve is too small, there will be a lot of pressure on you to settle your claim for far less than it’s worth.
- Keep the adjuster informed about the seriousness of your injuries. If your injuries worsen, let the insurance company know so they can increase the reserve account.
- Don’t let the insurance adjuster pressure you into settling your case. It may be tempting, but don’t give in. Hold out for as long as possible.
- Keep a day-by-day diary of your injuries. The judge will want to know how long you have been suffering from your injuries, and a diary can help in this regard.
- Know all your damages. Do some research and make sure you are well aware of all the damages you have suffered.
- Keep all bills and receipts related to your accident. You’ll need proof of your damages, so hang on to all your receipts and bills.
- Know all your injuries. Sometimes injuries don’t appear for weeks following an accident. Seek medical treatment right away.
- Know your sources for insurance coverage. You may be able to collect from more than one insurance policy.
- Stay under your doctor’s care until your doctor releases you. If you stop going to the doctor, this can negatively impact your case.
- File your lawsuit right away. This will put pressure on the insurance company.
- Ask a qualified trial lawyer to evaluate your case. Many will assess your case for no cost.
- If you decide to hire a lawyer, choose a trial attorney who isn’t afraid to go to court. An attorney who will fight for your case can get you more money.
Read on to learn more about these secrets to settling your car accident injury claim. If you have been injured in a car accident, get help from a Las Vegas personal injury lawyer.