The Importance of Physical Therapy After a Car Accident
Motor vehicle crashes are among the leading causes of accidental injuries in our country. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that nearly 4.8 million Americans are injured in traffic collisions each year. These injuries vary widely in nature and severity. Some of the most common car accident injuries reported in Nevada include:
- Burn injuries;
- Soft tissue damage (whiplash)
- Fractured/broken bones;
- Joint injuries;
- Muscle injuries;
- Internal organ damage;
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs);
- Spinal cord injuries; and
- Mental injuries, including PTSD.
After a serious crash, it is crucial that you get comprehensive, ongoing care that you need. Getting access to the proper physical therapy can make a dramatic difference. On this resource page, our Las Vegas car accident lawyers provide an overview of what you can expect after a crash and the importance of therapy after a car accident.
What to Expect Physically After a Car Accident
What exactly you can expect after an automobile collision depends on a wide range of different factors. That being said, a car crash— even a relatively minor one— is a traumatic event. It puts an enormous amount of physical and emotional strain on the human body. To make matters more challenging, many common car accident injuries occur with a delayed onset. You may be far more severely injured than you initially believe. In fact, you should expect to feel worse 24 hours, 48 hours, or even 72 hours after the impact.
For this reason, it is crucial that you see a doctor after a crash even if you do not think your injuries are that bad. The sooner you get professional medical attention, the better position you will be in to recover from the accident. After the initial treatment, you should expect an uneven, potentially lengthy recovery process. With moderate and serious car accident injuries, an individual should generally get ongoing care and support in the form of follow-up medical appointments, physical therapy, and other types of rehabilitative treatment.
Note: Beyond your medical needs, there are also legal reasons to see a doctor as soon as possible after a traffic collision. In Nevada, you cannot recover personal injury compensation in a car accident claim unless you have seen a doctor. Without medical records, a personal injury claim cannot move forward.
Why Physical Therapy is Important
Physical therapy can make the car accident recovery process a lot more successful. As defined under Nevada state law (NRS § 640.022), physical therapy is “the specialty in the field of health which is concerned with prevention of disability and physical rehabilitation of persons having congenital or acquired disabilities.” Many people who have sustained a significant injury are good candidates for physical therapy. Here are three key things to know about physical therapy after a car accident in Las Vegas
- Physical Therapy Promotes a Better Recovery: The single most important thing to understand about physical therapy is that it promotes a better recovery. Not only is comprehensive physical therapy treatment associated with faster recovery time, but people often report a more complete recovery— with less pain, less discomfort, and a lower chance for re-injury/aggravation. While every injury is different, many of the most common car accident injuries respond relatively well to physical therapy. This includes things like soft tissue damage, joint injuries, back injuries, muscle strains, and broken bones. A supervised recovery can also help to ensure that any related injuries/impairments are detected and treated as soon as possible.
- Treatment Can Be Customized to Meet Your Needs: What exactly physical therapy entails depends on the unique needs of the patient. Many different things— from the severity of their injuries to their age— will play a role in the treatment plan. Ultimately, physical therapy treatment is customizable. Anyone who sustains a serious injury in a car accident should have access to a physical therapist who they are comfortable working with. Your physical therapist should always put forward the time and effort needed to understand your pain, discomfort, and impairments. Only then can a proper treatment plan be developed.
- You Can Seek Compensation for Physical Therapy Costs: Following a car accident in Las Vegas, the last thing you need is another bill to pay. Many people are understandably worried about the cost of medical care, including physical therapy. If your traffic collision was caused by the negligence of another party, you are entitled to compensation for all medical bills, including your physical therapy and other rehabilitative care costs. Indeed, physical therapy and rehabilitative treatment are important considerations in any car accident injury case. A skilled Nevada car accident lawyer will help you pursue the full financial compensation that you rightfully deserve.
There is no one right way to do physical therapy after a traffic collision. Every person’s physical and psychological needs are different. An injured victim needs a comprehensive treatment and rehabilitation plan that actually works for them. You may be wondering: How long should I go to physical therapy after a car accident? The answer depends entirely on your specific circumstances. In some cases, physical therapy lasts for a few weeks or a few months. For other people, the rehabilitative process could take significantly longer than that.
You May Benefit from Psychological Counseling
Not all injuries are purely physical in nature. A car crash can be a psychologically and emotionally challenging experience for any person to go through. The mental health aspect of it is still underappreciated. One study published in the academic journal Professional Psychology: Research and Practice found that the prevalence of post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after motor vehicle accidents is far more common than many people realize.
As difficult as an accident can be to process, you do not have to suffer psychologically or emotionally without professional support. Car crash victims can and should seek professional mental health support for emotional distress after an accident. If you have any questions about seeking compensation for psychological counseling or emotional distress after an accident, an experienced Las Vegas, NV personal injury lawyer can help;
You Deserve Full and Fair Financial Compensation for Your Injuries
Nevada is an at-fault car accident state. The party found to be responsible for the crash is legally liable for the resulting damages. If you were hurt in an accident caused by a negligent driver, careless trucking company, or any other party, you have the right to seek financial compensation for the full extent of your damages, including for physical therapy costs and ongoing medical care.
Sadly, the big insurance providers are not eager to pay out full and fair settlements to injured victims. At Naqvi Injury Law, our Las Vegas auto accident attorneys are aggressive, effective advocates for clients. We help people seek the maximum compensation, including for all medical bills, physical therapy, emotional therapy, lost wages, pain and suffering, and scarring/disability.
Call Our Las Vegas, NV Car Accident Lawyers for Immediate Help
At Naqvi Injury Law, our Las Vegas auto accident attorneys are aggressive, results-focused advocates for injured victims. We hold negligent drivers, negligent corporations, and large insurance companies accountable. If you have any questions about recovering compensation for physical therapy or emotional therapy after a car crash, we can help.
You deserve personalized legal representation from a lawyer who is ready to take your case the distance. Call us now or use our online contact form for a free, no strings attached review of your case. From our Las Vegas law office, we represent injured victims throughout Clark County, including in North Las Vegas, Henderson, Mesquite, Boulder City, Winchester, and Summerlin.