Facts, Stats, and FAQs About Slip and Fall Accidents
When you patronize a business or visit another person’s property, you have a fair and reasonable expectation that you will be kept safe from safety risks. Yet, far too many businesses and property owners fail to remove slipping and tripping hazards. In fact, slip and fall accidents remain one of the leading causes of serious injuries in Las Vegas and throughout the United States.
At Naqvi Injury Law, our law firm fights for the legal rights and financial interests of slip and fall accident victims. We want to make sure that you have all of the knowledge and resources that you need to get justice and compensation after a fall accident. In this article, our Las Vegas slip and fall accident lawyers provide a comprehensive guide to slip and fall accident injury claims in Nevada.
An Overview of Slip and Fall Accident Statistics
Slip and fall accidents and trip and fall accidents occur for a wide range of different reasons. Often, an unaddressed safety hazard— such as an unmarked slippery floor or a tattered carpet— is the primary cause of the accident. Here is an overview of the latest slip and fall accident statistics:
- The National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI) reports that greater than one million people seek emergency medical attention for slip and fall accidents in the United States each year.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that 1 in 5 fall accidents results in a serious injury, such as a broken bone or a concussion.
- The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) reports that fall accidents account for nearly 25 percent of all work injuries nationwide.
Get the Facts About Slip and Fall Accident Injury Claims in Nevada
There are many myths and misconceptions about slip and fall accident claims/trip and fall accident claims. If you or your loved one was injured in a fall accident on another person’s property, it is imperative that you know how to protect your rights. Here are four key facts that you should know about slip and fall accident injury lawsuits in Nevada:
- Business Owners/Property Owners are Not Automatically Liable for a Slip and Fall: A slip and fall accident claim is a type of premises liability case. In Nevada, businesses and property owners are not automatically liable for accidents that occur on their premises. Slip and falls & trip and falls are fault-based legal cases. To bring a successful personal injury claim for a slip and fall, you must prove fault.
- A Nevada Business or Property Owner Can Be Held Liable for Negligence: A business or property owner in Nevada can be legally liable for a slip and fall accident when that injury occurs because of negligence. Broadly stated, negligence is a breach of the duty of care. If you or your loved one was hurt in a slip and fall accident that happened because there were dangerous conditions on the property—a wet floor, a tripping hazard in a hallway, inadequate lighting in stairwells, etc.—you can hold a business or property owner liable.
- Nevada has a Two-Year Statute of Limitations for Slip and Fall Claims: You must be proactive after a slip and fall accident. Under Nev. Rev. Stat. § 11.190, these claims are subject to a two-year statute of limitations. Failure to file a personal injury claim within two years could result in your case being dismissed by a court without ever getting a full hearing on the actual merits.
- You Can Recover Compensation for Economic and Non-Economic Damages: In Nevada, slip and fall accident victims can seek monetary relief for all of their losses— including for economic damages and non-economic damages. A top-rated Las Vegas, NV slip and fall accident attorney can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, physical therapy, loss of current and future wages, pain and suffering, and permanent scarring or long term disability. Make sure your slip and fall accident damages are well-documented so that you are in the best position to maximize your financial support.
Slip and Fall Accidents in Nevada: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why Do So Many Slip and Fall Accidents Happen?
Although it is possible for a person to trip over their own two feet, the majority of slip and fall accidents happen because of an underlying safety hazard. Some of the most common safety hazards that contribute to slip and fall accidents and trip and fall accidents in Nevada include:
- Uncleaned spills;
- Unmarked wet floors;
- Loose cords and other debris in walkways;
- Unsafe changes in floor elevation;
- Broken or damaged floorboards;
- Tattered carpets/rugs;
- Broken stairs; and
- Lack of proper lighting, especially in stairwells.
What Should I Do After a Slip and Fall in Las Vegas?
Following a slip and fall accident in Las Vegas, you need to be ready to take swift action to protect your health, safety, and ability to bring a personal injury claim. Here are four key steps to take after a slip and fall or a trip and fall in Clark County, Nevada:
- Get immediate medical attention for any injuries. Your health and well-being are paramount. Further, you can claim personal injury if you have seen a doctor.
- Document the safety hazard. If your slip and fall occurred because of a safety defect (wet floor, damaged floorboard, etc), try to document the cause.
- Report the slip and fall. You should notify the business or property owner that you were injured on their premises.
- Consult with an attorney. Slip and fall accident claims are complicated. You do not have to go up against businesses, property owners, or insurance companies alone. A Las Vegas slip and fall accident lawyer will protect your rights.
Can a Casino Be Held Liable for a Slip and Fall Accident?
Yes. Any negligent business or property owner could potentially be held liable for a slip and fall accident in Nevada— including casinos and hotels. Las Vegas is home to many of the world’s top casino properties. Casinos have a legal responsibility to provide a reasonably safe and secure environment for guests. You should not have to worry about dangerous slipping hazards or tripping hazards when you step foot in a Las Vegas casino. If you or your loved one was injured in a slip and fall at a casino in Las Vegas, call our personal injury team now for a free, no-obligation consultation.
Can I Afford to Hire a Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer in Las Vegas?
Yes. You can always afford to hire a top slip and fall accident attorney in Las Vegas. At Naqvi Injury Law, our Nevada personal injury attorneys represent slip and fall accident victims on a contingency fee basis. You do not have to worry about paying any out-of-pocket fees. We are on your team. Our Nevada slip and fall accident lawyers only get paid when we win your case.
Contact Our Las Vegas, NV Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers Today
At Naqvi Injury Law, our Nevada slip and fall accident attorneys are proud to provide top-quality legal representation to victims and their families. You need financial compensation to pay your bills. If you or someone you know was hurt in a slip and fall, we are here to help. Contact our firm today to arrange your no cost, no-obligation case evaluation. With a legal office in Las Vegas, we handle slip and fall accident claims throughout the entire area, including in North Las Vegas, Henderson, Paradise, Summerlin, Paradise, Spring Valley, and Boulder City.