By Farhan Naqvi, Personal Injury Lawyer in Las Vegas
There are several household items that can obviously cause injury to small children. Knives, matches, and electrical outlets routinely lead to seriousn accidents. But sometimes, children perish in household accidents involving items that you wouldn’t think would harm a child.
That’s why investigators are trying to figure out the circumstances behind the death of a toddler at a Las Vegas apartment complex on Charleston Boulevard. Metro Police say that on Sunday afternoon, an 18-month old boy opened the door of an oven, which for some reason caused the entire stove to topple over and fall on top of him. The boy was rushed to University Hospital, but he did not survive.
There are plenty of questions that will need to be answered about this incident in the coming days. Was the oven altered by the owners in some way that caused it to be off balance, or is the appliance an example of a defective product? If the latter is the case, the boy’s relatives might be able to file a product liability lawsuit against the stove’s manufacturer.
Also, police have yet to determine who was responsible for supervising the toddler at the time of the accident. If an adult was supposed to be watching the boy, he or she may be held liable in a wrongful death lawsuit.
Once all the facts in this case become known, a qualified product liability or wrongful death attorney would be able to determine if a lawsuit is appropriate.
About the Editor: Farhan R. Naqvi is a Las Vegas personal injury lawyer who has experience representing victims injured in car accidents, drunk driver crashes, truck wrecks, slip and falls, taxi cab accidents, and bicycle crashes. He also has experience handling spine injury, product liability, underinsured/uninsured driver, and wrongful death cases. If you’ve been seriously hurt in an accident in Summerlin, North Las Vegas, Clark County, Henderson, Boulder City, Green Valley, or Pahrump, give Farhan a call at 702-553-1000 for a free, no-hassle consultation.