Skip to Main Content

Last summer, a half dozen guests at the Aria Resort and Casino contracted Legionnaires’ Disease. Thankfully, none of the victims died and the hotel took steps to remedy the problem. Unfortunately, Legionnaires’ has reared its ugly head again at a different Las Vegas property – and this time, a person is dead because of it.

This week, the Nevada Health District revealed that a guest who stayed at the Luxor in December has passed away. The case came after two other former guests at the Luxor reported suffering from Legionnaires,’ although the hotel said that it tested all of its water and found no trace of the bacterium at that time. This new case has prompted Luxor officials to begin immediate remediation of the water that flows to hundreds of rooms after the bacterium was found in water tests conducted on the property.

Legionnaires’ Disease is a pneumonia-like ailment that is characterized by a cough, chills, high fever, and head or muscle aches. It is generally only contracted by people who are elderly or have compromised immune systems, chronic illnesses, or respiratory problems. The bacteria which cause Legionnaires’ is found in water, but is usually killed by chlorine and other chemicals before human consumption.

It appears that the family of the deceased person has solid grounds to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the Luxor. They could collect reimbursement for medical and burial expenses, damages for loss of care or mental anguish, and even lost future wages which would have been earned by the victim.