Skip to Main Content

How to File a Property Damage Claim After an Auto Accident

Whether you’ve been involved in an car accident on the Las Vegas Strip, a Pahrump sidestreet, or on Interstate 15 (I-15), you’ll need to file a property damage claim with an insurance company in order to receive funds to cover vehicle repairs.

The first issue you must address is which driver was at fault. If another driver caused the accident, you can choose to file the claim under his or her insurance policy. However, you may not get enough money to offset your repair expenses. If the other driver’s insurance policy has a maximum coverage limit that is less than your repair bill, you will have to make up the difference. Nevada drivers are only required to maintain $10,000 worth of property damage coverage on their auto policy.

It may be more cost-effective to opt for filing a property damage claim with your insurance company if you have higher insurance coverage limits for your vehicle. But you will still have to pay a deductible, which is usually between $100 and $1,000. And your insurance company may use the accident as a reason to increase your premiums in the future.

Before notifying an insurance company about your accident, get two or more written repair estimates, a copy of the accident report filed by police, and any invoices related to storage, towing, or rental expenses if applicable. If the total damages to your vehicle surpass 80 percent of its value, then the insurance company will total it.

If you feel that you are not getting proper compensation after filing your property damage claim, consider contacting a car accident lawyer.