By Farhan Naqvi, Personal Injury Lawyer in Las Vegas
The birth of a baby should be a joyous moment. Unfortunately, this day can be marred by an act of negligence or carelessness on account of your doctor, a nurse, or the hospital. Incidents of birth injury medical malpractice can change your life and the life of your baby forever – leading to paralysis, nerve damage, permanent disability, and even death. These are some of the most common birth injuries:
- The doctor delaying a decision, such as deciding whether or not a c-section is needed, could endanger your unborn baby.
- The hospital could fail to detect an infection.
- Misuse of medical equipment, such as forceps or vacuum extractor, during the birthing process.
- Misreading the fetal monitor or misuse of the fetal heart rate monitor.
- Incorrect dose of medication or given medication at an inappropriate time.
- A mistake could be made during your newborn son’s circumcision surgery.
These mistakes can lead serious, life-altering injuries. Misuse of forceps could lead to nerve damage and paralysis in the face, shoulders, and arms (cerebral palsy).
Erb’s palsy occurs when nerve damage causes problems with moving the arms and hands. If the baby suffers from blood loss or lack of oxygen to the brain, it could result in permanent brain damage.
If you believe your child was the victim of a birth injury caused by medical malpractice, contact a Las Vegas medical malpractice lawyer right away.
About the Editor: Farhan R. Naqvi is a Las Vegas personal injury lawyer who has experience representing victims injured in car accidents, drunk driver crashes, truck wrecks, slip and falls, taxi cab accidents, and bicycle crashes. He also has experience handling spine injury, product liability, underinsured/uninsured driver, and wrongful death cases. If you’ve been seriously hurt in an accident in Summerlin, North Las Vegas, Clark County, Henderson, Boulder City, Green Valley, or Pahrump, give Farhan a call at 702-553-1000 for a free, no-hassle consultation.